A while back, I read a Tweet about 10 Things I Never Thought I’d Do as an Author. I thought that sounded interesting, so I clicked on the link only to learn that the 10 things were about self-publishing, building a website, building an audience through social media, etc.
Man, that wasn’t what I’d expected, so I decided to write my own list of 10 Things I Things I Never Thought I’d Do as an Author. They are totally different than the other writer’s. So tell me what you think of my list.
- Hold in my hands vials of a dead woman’s blood and tissue. (Wasted.)
- Slurp down chips and salsa while reading autopsy reports in Mexican restaurants. (Wasted.)
- Sit knee-to-knee with a killer, for hours on end, and take a tattoo tour of his body. (Wasted.)
- Be subpoenaed to testify in a capital murder trial. (Wasted.)
- Write true crime. (Wasted, Wages of Sin, Breaking Point, The Fortune Hunter.)
- Write about true sex. (Secret Sex Lives: A Year on the Fringes of American Sexuality.)
- Sit, for hours on end, with people who are completely nude. (Secret Sex Lives. Actually, that’d be in the sequel to Secret Sex Lives, if there is a sequel.) And for the record, I was clothed and interviewing the people.
- Take a tour of a man’s … hmm, how do I say this? Take a tour of a man’s ring wrapped around his most intimate body part … at his wife’s direction. (Secret Sex Lives. Again, though, that would be in the sequel.)
- Watch two married-to-women men have sex – while I sat beside the bed, taking notes on a yellow leg pad. (Secret Sex Lives … if there’s a sequel. But prior to a sequel, it may be in an anthology about real sex.)
- Write about myself. (Secret Sex Lives: A Year on the Fringes of American Sexuality.)
Do I dare ask what are 10 things you thought you’d never do and did?